Monday, March 24, 2014

Running for Strawberries at the 33rd Strawberry Classic

This weekend I ran for the berries at the 33rd Annual Strawberry Classic! It's hard to believe this race has been going on for SO long -- it's older than I am! But after running the 5k on Saturday, I knew why.

Originally I had signed up for the 10k, but something funky happened with my ankle at the Sarasota Half last Sunday and I have been way too afraid to push it with my running per my doctor's orders. He said I probably had an inflamed peroneal tendon, which is super depressing for someone who loves to run like I do!

Luckily, I was able to switch to the 5k which I figured would be okay. On my way to the race I was getting nervous since my foot wasn't feeling super great and I woke up feeling kind of sad for some reason.

Once I got to the race site at Temple Terrace Elementary, I stretched out my ankle and did some calf raises, hoping I'd be able to run with as little pain as possible. I moved up towards the front of the 5k starting line, praying for the best.



As you can see, I was pretty close to the start line, but it was still difficult to hear the instructions. What color arrows do I follow? I was worried I was going to end up choosing the wrong color and end up on the 10k path and bust my ankle. Thankfully, runners are awesome and I was able to get the correct color (green) for the 5k. :)

As the run began, I took it pretty easy. I felt like my right foot had to be pretty flat since it wasn't feeling totally normal. Still, I was able to pass some people and eventually got into a good groove.

The course was a little hilly which I never really expect in Florida. During the Sarasota Half I think my ankle got messed up due to the huge bridge I ran over so even these small hills were scary to me. I didn't want to hurt myself even more. Soon, I was a mile in...then a mile and a half. The miles flew by and eventually my foot stopped hurting altogether.

I was feeling good and checking my phone time, I was pacing pretty well. The course was really peaceful and quiet, winding through a cute neighborhood. The weather was perfect.

Soon enough, the race was over. I could see the clock time. 25:21 when I crossed the finish line, which was the exact same time I had during the ZooZoom a few weeks ago.

After crossing the finish line, I snagged my medal (love race bling) and some strawberries and water.


There were a ton of other race refreshments as well, including Dunkin' Donuts and tasty looking breads.



And of course, strawberries galore:


Here's my sweaty post-race self, with said strawberries.


There were lots of other race goodies, including quick massages, and FitLife foods. I got a massage and the lady said my right leg was super tight. Lol. Girl, I know. My right side is the side with the gimpy foot. She also asked if I was over 18. Yes. I am. By like, 6 years. Thanks, random sports massage lady!

Afterwards it was time for the awards. Guess what?! I got 2nd in my division. Gun time was 25:21, but my chip time was 25:14, a new PR!

I got a snazzy silver medal, which I love.


Overall, I had a great time at this race. I'll definitely do it again -- hopefully the 15k or the 10k next year!

Did you race this weekend? What have been the coolest races you've participated in?

No comments:

Post a Comment